Everyone makes mistakes, but when it comes to email marketing, your error can break your connection with your customers. Email marketing does not end after having the email addresses of your customers. You have to do well to reach your goal of improving brand loyalty, delivering important announcements, and increasing your company’s sales.
A small mistake handled well may be forgivable, but repeated and unprofessionally handled ones can make your brand look untrustworthy. To manage these mistakes, you need to familiarize yourself with common email marketing mistakes:
1. Using wrong or broken links
This mistake may look like a minor one, but it can be irritating for customers who are looking forward to seeing the link you promised in your CTA (call-to-action). You can prevent this from happening by sending a test email first before you send the message to all. This way, you can act as a first recipient and have the chance to check all the elements, including clicking the links and checking the message for any typo errors.
2. Sending a specific message to the wrong audience
One advantage of email marketing is the way you can segment your audience, which helps make the experience more personalized. There are times, however, that the team sends a message to the wrong recipients. This mistake can confuse your readers. When this happens, it is best to apologize for the confusion you caused. Make the recipients understand what happened instead of leaving them confused the whole time.
3. Sending the wrong message
Another damaging mistake is sending the wrong message to the right people. It often happens when there is an event, a game, or an election. Brands usually prepare two message templates ahead, depending on what results would come out. They would either promise a discount or promo, depending on the occasion’s outcome.
Sometimes, no matter how much they prepare, there would come a time when the wrong message will be sent. It is best to send an apology email immediately to take back your previous email and then reiterate the correct message you meant to say. If you promised anything, you might need to offer a little gift in return.
4. Errors on website
Technical difficulties experienced on the website are typical, especially when your website gets high traffic or other technical issues are happening. However, it is not an excuse for poor performance. When an error occurs, you should immediately get back to your customers to apologize for the inconvenience. Sending an incentive once the site is back up can also help ease the situation.
How to Deal With Email Marketing Mistakes
Mistakes are inevitable. No matter how careful you are, it can happen. The best way to deal with it is to prepare for the worse. Here is an easy guideline for you.
Before sending out an email, make sure to follow this checklist:
- List down all potential mistakes that can happen in an email you will send.
- From this list, identify which needs a prompt response. Not all mistakes should be announced publicly. There are items you can correct on your end without letting the people know, and there are some mistakes you can ignore.
- Now, plan down how you will respond when each situation happens. Prepare for all possible worst-case scenarios. Will you need to send a followup email? Do you need to create an apology on social media? Be precise with the right timing as well.
- Let everyone in the team know about the next steps in case a mistake happens, and that includes your boss.
- When a mistake indeed happened, be creative and respectful in resolving it. Creating a template beforehand can help speed up the process.
Every digital marketer is a human and nobody is perfect. It is common to experience a mistake once in a while. However, it should not make you lax. Do your best to avoid making any mistakes and prepare what you need to do in case the worse things happen. While errors are unavoidable, knowing the proper and professional way to respond to them can make a huge difference.
For your digital marketing needs, message us at Optamark Digital. We have a team of email marketing experts that can handle all your email marketing campaigns. Contact us today, and we will be happy to discuss our strategies with you.